Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Baptist Prophecy?

It’s been far too long since the last post and for that I apologize. So here’s a thought that will require some unpacking…

In 1 Corinthians 13 we know that love is patient and kind (13:4), does not seek it’s own advancement (vs. 4,5), is not irritable or resentful (vs. 5) and rejoices in truth (vs. 6) among other things. However, what I’ve been pondering in the last few days is the first verse of chapter 14. “Pursue love and strive for the spiritual gifts, and especially that you prophesy.” Because Prophesy builds up the body (14:3), encourages (vs. 3), provides consolation (vs. 3) and builds up the church (vs. 4).

What does this mean, “pursue…prophecy”? Isn’t this an odd pair? What is the significance of the pairing? How would this effect life and ministry?

I have my thought but for now have at it my friends…

No comments: