Thursday, December 09, 2004

Devotions For Thursday, Advent Week 2


Opening
I am a poor pilgrim of sorrow, I’m tosses in this wide world alone. No hope have I for tomorrow; I’ve started to make Heaven my home. Sometimes I am tossed and driven, Lord, Sometimes I don’t know where to roam. I’ve heard of a city called Heaven; I’ve started to make it my home.
Traditional African American Spiritual

Observe a period of silence

Scripture
Psalm 4:6-8 Many are asking, “Who can show us any good?” Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (NIV)

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (NIV)

Ephesians 2:14-18 Ephesians 2:14-18 Christ himself is our peace. He made both Jewish people and those who are not Jews one people. They were separated as if there were a wall between them, but Christ broke down that wall of hate by giving his own body. The Jewish law had many commands and rules, but Christ ended that law. His purpose was to make the two groups of people become one new people in him and in this way make peace. It was also Christ’s purpose to end the hatred between the two groups, to make them into one body, and to bring them back to God. Christ did all this with his death on the cross. Christ came and preached peace to you who were far away from God, and to those who were near to God. Yes, it is through Christ we all have the right to come to the Father in one Spirit. (NCV)

Meditation
Lord, this bare island, make it a place of peace. Here be the peace of those who do Thy will. Here be the peace of brother serving man. Here be the peace of holy monks obeying. Here be the peace of praise by dark and day. Be this Island Thy Holy Island. I, Lord, Thy servant, Aidan, make this prayer. Be it Thy care. Amen.
St. Aidan's prayer for the holy island of Lindisfarne

Offer Prayer’s For Others

The Collect
Stir up Your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins, let Your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with You and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory, now and for ever. Amen.







1 comment:

Dustin said...

Various sources see me for a full citation.